Portland, Oregon was ranked number two on Inc.com’s list of 50 Best Places in America for starting a business, thanks to its low cost of doing business, high quality of life, and well-educated workforce. Portland’s economy is one of the most diverse in the U.S. and includes many industries, from technology to manufacturing to hospitality. There’s an impressive level of tourism here, which means there’s both a strong local and tourist customer base for franchises.
When perspective franchisees look at the market, the first thing that often catches their eye is an established brand like Subway or McDonald’s. However, while these outlets have name recognition, they no longer fulfill a franchisee’s dream of growth and profitability, for the simple reasons that:
- The amount you spend towards their expenses and fees is substantial, and ROI is long and low
- Portland is already packed with franchisees of the same brand giving you needless competition.
- Food is a continuously evolving segment where “innovative” can take you far ahead of “tried and tested.”
The reason to invest in any franchise is to get rich, and the only way to do that is with an emerging brand. All the famous brands started with just one location, the trick is to get in early. While that can be hard on your own, Fransmart specializes in finding the next big thing. In fact, they were the company that helped bring Five Guys and The Halal Guys into the franchising world. The top 5 franchise opportunities mentioned below represent the opportunities the Fransmart team thinks are the brands of the future.
When you think of investing in a franchise opportunity in Portland, consider the various costs associated with it. Naturally, there is the initial cost of purchasing a franchise, but there are many ongoing costs. Some of these costs may include royalty fees, franchise fees, Liquid capital, and training costs.
Top 5 Franchise Opportunities in Portland
#1 Rise: Hot Franchise for sale in Portland, Oregon
Named in the “America’s Hottest Startup Fast Casuals “ list for 2021, Rise was the first to go all in on technology, with contactless kiosk ordering and food lockers. The result is that franchise owners of Rise enjoy high profitability and sales, along with a human-centric culture.
The reason to invest in this hottest franchise of the year:
- Rise runs on a proven automated business model with contactless kiosk ordering and food locker technology that makes business seamless and safe for employees and customers.
- The franchisors have worked hard to establish a higher profitability model for franchisees at a lower cost.
- Rise locations operate from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm, giving franchise owners work-life balance.
Total Investment for Rise Franchise
- Initial Investment: $420,500 – $598,500 (3 restaurants)
- Franchise fee: $35,000
#2 Brooklyn Dumpling Shop: Tech-driven, low-cost Fast Casual Franchise Opportunity in Portland, OR
Recognized in “America’s Hottest Startup Fast Casuals” list for 2021, Brooklyn Dumpling Shop is a tech-forward franchise that has raised the industry’s expectations for performance and profitability.
Reason to own a Brooklyn Dumpling Store Franchise:
- They have uncompetitive territory in Portland.
- It is a 24-hour serving business that serves its customers.
- Brooklyn Dumpling Shop franchise opportunity Portland is affordable and gives its franchise buyers a good return on investment.
- Frozen Brooklyn dumplings are sold at many big-box retailers, hence already having brand awareness and sustainable revenue streams.
- It also sells custom-to-go drink packs, which means you benefit from liquor sales.
Total Cost Required for Brooklyn Dumpling Shop Franchise Investment
- Initial Investment: $348,500 – $663,000 (multi-unit)
- Franchise fee: $40,000
Franchise Owner Profit: click here to know how much Brooklyn Dumpling Shop franchise owners can make.
#3 PayMore: Recession Proof Franchise Opportunity in Portland
The PayMore franchise is a fast-growing electronics franchise for sale in Portland integrating e-commerce with electronics sales and trade-in. They repurpose old electronics products ranging from smartphones to gaming systems and computers to tech gadgets and recirculate them back into the marketplace.
Reason To invest in PayMore:
- It’s a tech niche franchise opportunity that is unique for Oregon.
- It’s a relatively new and environment-friendly concept with low competition.
- Electronic sales provide high customer retention rates, low overheads, and high margins.
- PayMore has seen improved profits because of the influx of demand and supply of used devices in the market, and the business model has a green/sustainable hook.
Total Investment for PayMore franchise
- Initial Investment: $184,050 – $299,950 (multi-unit)
- Franchise fee: $30,000
Franchise Owner Income:
- With Adjusted Operating Income – $288,311*
- Gross Sales— $2,334,054.72
- Adjusted Operating Income for a Franchise Store— $272,602.30
#4 Taffer’s Tavern: The Kitchen of the Future Today Franchise Opportunities in Portland
Jon Taffer, the “Bar Rescue” star and hospitality expert, started Taffer’s Tavern franchise to solve the many inefficiency issues of the restaurant industry. This restaurant franchise opportunity in Portland has intelligent operations, an innovative kitchen, an upscale gastropub menu, and an eye-catching ambiance.
Reason To Own Taffer’s Tavern:
- The most significant advantage of the Taffer’s Tavern franchise is its high profitability that is achieved through reduced costs by incorporating simplified cooking techniques and minimum food preparation time.
- Its robotic kitchen, sous vide cooking, and data-driven decision-making makes Taffer’s Tavern the most innovative and efficiently run franchise in decades.
- Liquor sales are significantly higher in Taffer’s Tavern giving franchisees more profits than a typical casual restaurant.
Total Investment for Taffer’s Tavern Franchise
- Initial Investment: $1,183,000 to $2,203,000 (5 Units)
- Franchise fee: $50,000
Franchise Owner Income: click here to know how much Taffer’s Tavern franchise owners can make.
#5 Curry Up Now- Hottest Selling Franchise opportunity in Portland, Oregon
Curry Up Now is the fastest-growing Indian fast-casual chain known for its vegetarian and vegan Indian recipes. The franchisors offer franchisees industry-leading unit economics. The restaurant design can operate in a flexible footprint ranging from 1,300 to 3,500 square feet. Several franchises in the US have identified opportunities to convert existing spaces to reduce initial build-out costs drastically.
Reason To Buy Curry Up Now:
- Curry Up Now has created a unique fusion menu that makes Indian cuisine more accessible to a large customer base.
- The menu contains delicious vegetarian and vegan options bringing more customers to the restaurant.
- The brand uses co-packaging, which means an Indian chef is not required for the restaurant.
- It’s not typical Indian; it has an upbeat vibe to its ambiance and taste, attracting many customers.
Total Investment for Curry Up Now Franchise
- Initial Investment: $392,000 – $1,671,500 (multi-unit)
- Franchise fee: $35,000
The cost to open a larger Curry Up Now with the cocktail bar ranges from $563,500 to $1,564,000.
Franchise Owner Income:
Click here to know how much Curry Up Now franchise owners can make.
The most profitable franchise opportunities are innovative and have a low barrier of entry. Becoming a franchise owner in Portland, Oregon, is an excellent opportunity to start your own business. It is also a big commitment, so do your research. Before you buy into any franchise, read the fine print, ask questions, and make sure you know what you’re getting into. The United States has a strong history of entrepreneurship and a thriving economy, providing many business opportunities to succeed.
Using an experienced franchise consultant like Fransmart can help you save money in the long run. Fransmart has over two decades of experience with emerging brands. In fact they were the team that brought Five Guys and The Halal Guys into franchising. Fransmart only works with the hottest emerging brands to ensure that entrepreneurs have the best opportunity for success and profits. Contact us today to get started on your franchising journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the most profitable franchise to own?
The most profitable franchise opportunities are innovative and have a low barrier of entry. We have shared the top 5 profitable franchises to own in Portland.
Q. What is the cheapest franchise to open in Portland?
Rise is the cheapest franchise to start in Portland.
Total Investment for Rise Biscuit Franchise
- Initial Investment:$420,500 – $598,500 (3 restaurants)
- Franchise fee: $35,000
Q. What are the best low-cost franchise opportunities in Portland?
Check out our five best low-cost franchise opportunities on sale in Portland (Rise, PayMore, Taffer’s Tavern, Curry up Now, Brooklyn Dumpling Shop).
Q. How do franchise owners get paid?
Franchise owners are paid a percentage of the profits of the business.
Q. How do I start a franchise with no money in Oregon?
You have a few options for starting a franchise with no money. Fransmart helps you to identify such opportunities in Oregon. Contact us to know more about it.
Q. Do banks give loans for franchises?
Banks don’t give loans to franchises. Banks don’t want to deal with the legalities involved in being a middle man between you and the corporation that owns the franchise. This is why you should use an SBA loan if you want to buy a franchise.
Q. Is buying a franchise a good investment in Portland?
Buying a franchise is a good investment in Portland, but there are many things you need to do before making your decision.
Q. Can owning a franchise make you rich?
It definitely can. Franchising is a great way to build a scalable, sustainable, and profitable business. You’ll have a lot of help from the franchisor, a proven system in place, and you’re likely to make more money than you would run a standalone business.
Q. Is it hard to run a franchise?
It’s not hard to run a franchise, but it is hard to find a franchise opportunity that’s right for you. You have to make sure you’re in the right business, with the right people, that you feel confident in your decision and that you’ve done your research.
Q. Can franchising be bad?
Franchising can be an excellent way to go into business for yourself, but in fact, it’s one of the riskiest ways to start a business because you’re relying on someone else’s brand and business model for your success. You can mitigate this by using an experienced franchise consultant like Fransmart to help you find the right franchise for you. Like all businesses, franchises have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Q. Is opening a franchise in Portland worth it?
Only you can answer whether or not opening a franchise is worth it. Ultimately, you’re the one who has to live with the decision. If you feel like you can handle all of the responsibilities of being an entrepreneur, then go for it.
Q. Why do franchises fail?
Franchises fail when they are not profitable and are not generating enough income to cover the overhead and the franchisee’s time. The best franchise opportunities are innovative and have a low barrier of entry.